It occurred to me recently that I am pretty hard on the town where I live. It’s a habit I picked up living in Philadelphia. Philadelphians are filled with hometown pride, but we temper it with a good bit of cynicism about our city. We can put our city down, but if an outsider tries it—it’s on.
Now I live in North Carolina, in a city nowhere near as grand as Philadelphia, and I rarely say anything good about this place. But if I really hate it here, why do I stay? As I was driving around running errands today, I was thinking of the little things I love about this town.
1. The Stamey’s sign that tells what flavor cobbler they’re serving each day.
2. Going to Edward McKay, selling an assortment of “what was I thinking?” CDs, and leaving with $20 and a Paul Simon CD bought with store credit.
3. Hearing local Idol Chris Daughtry singing a cover of “Poker Face” on the radio.
4. Being able to visit three different Targets in the same day.
5. The sense of accomplishment I feel now that I can drive from place to place without getting lost. This is not an easy place to drive (it was not planned on a grid like a certain other city…) and the roads change names without warning. This week was the first time I drove to my friend Heather’s house without directions.
6. My local grocery store is tidy, well-stocked, and staffed with the nicest people in the world. I’m convinced I will die in the lawless parking lot, but the store itself is a treasure.
7. The neighborhood around Walker & Elam reminds me of the neighborhood where I grew up—only posher.
8. Taking walks through Battleground Park, and going for bike rides along the greenway. I love that this town invests in places for us to keep fit.
9. My local branch of the library, set back in the woods with its sun porches and walking trails, is as fun as it is functional.
10. Downtown is going through a renewal. I love that restaurants like Ganache make their meals using locally grown products. I love getting a cider and some sweet potato chips while sitting on the upstairs deck at M’Coul’s.
11. Speaking of locally grown products, the farmers’ market is amazing.
12. The abundance of Mexican restaurants.
Mostly, though, what I love about living here is the same thing I miss about living there—the people.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T
9 years ago
HA! Did you know today's Stamey's sign just says BLACKBERRY! Makes no indication that it is referring to cobbler, but when I drove by it today I thought to myself "MMM blackberry cobbler would be good!"
ReplyDeleteIt took me leaving this town and coming back to really love it. Now I'm a lifer (unless God changes that plan)
ReplyDelete