Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Deep Enough to Dream

Lately a lot of things I’ve listened to or read have mentioned Heaven. Heaven is usually a fleeting thought for me, as in, “Heaven will be better than getting up before dawn and going to the gym.”

But as I was driving to church on Sunday I was listening to Chris Rice’s Deep Enough to Dream, and this lyric, “Deep enough to join a billion people for a wedding feast…” gave me pause. The thought that came to me was, “Ugh. I hate crowds. That’s going to be awful.” This thought was quickly followed by, “WHAT??!?!?” So I began thinking about how, in Heaven, I will not have my claustrophobia/discomfort in crowds, because I won’t have to fear people trampling me, because there is no trampling in Heaven.

I couldn’t get my head around it, so I went on to another incomprehensible thought: in Heaven, I won’t be plagued by this icky, sinful nature of mine. Right now, my sin is so familiar to me; I don’t even know it’s there unless someone/something brings it to light. It’s kind of like this pain in my legs—try and follow me here, I know it’s a stretch. Because of the varicose veins in my legs, they have been hurting for over a year. The whole time I’ve been running and taking zumba classes, I have done it with pain in my legs, but I am not aware of the pain. It’s something I am used to and have managed to live with. Next week, one set of veins will be gone and I will experience what not-hurting legs feel like and I can’t imagine it. It’s been so long since I felt normal; I have forgotten what normal feels like. In the same way, I’ve never been without sin, so I can’t imagine what a day-to-day existence without sin (mine or other people’s) will be like. But, just like I believe my legs will feel better, I believe my life in Heaven will be better.

One more thought about Heaven. I read today how, in Heaven, Jesus is going to reveal a special name to me—a name for me that’s just between me and Him. I hope it’s a really cool Irish name, like Siobhan.

1 comment:

  1. This is so true. I totally think we lose sight of our sin. It's always there so how can we ever imagine our life without it. Great perspective!

    ReplyDelete