This morning I told the girls in the high school small group I lead that we would be doing something crafty and Valentine-y, so they should bring paper, markers, stickers, etc. Most of them were instantly excited, but I did meet a bit of resistance. Apparently, 17 is not too young to be bitter.
Despite the minor groaning, I’m pleased to say tonight’s craft activity was a total success. We had a wonderful time writing encouragements to each other on lavishly decorated pieces of construction paper. I provided quotes from Harry Potter, Twilight and Pride and Prejudice, so the girls were able to spur each other on with words like, “Even savages can dance” (Mr. Darcy) and “You smell so good in the rain” (Edward Cullen).
What I would have these high school girls see in me is that singleness is not a dead end. It is not the end of the world. It is not a sentence to a life of boredom and misery. It is possible to live alone, and yet live gloriously.
Had I not been planning something for the girls this evening, I probably wouldn’t have even considered that today was a special day. That did not stop the people in my life from going out of their way to make me feel special.
Valentine’s Day does not suck when:
*You have a brother and sister-in-law who give you a bouquet of roses.
*Your mom bakes you chocolate chip cookies.
*Your girlfriends (married and single) gather for indulgent snacks, wine and Nora Ephron.
*You get to see Avatar in 3-D (for free!) with a friend who works at the movie theater.
*Your high school small group girls tell you things like, “’You must allow me to express how ardently I admire and love you.’ I enjoy you guys’ presence more than most, actually, all adults I know…”
*The aforementioned high school girls bring cupcakes.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T
9 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment