Last night I had the opportunity to hear former President Bill Clinton offer a lecture. Here are some of my reflections:--instead of the charismatic, "swaggery" guy I remember from the '90s, he was a laid-back Southern gentleman
--he is really, REALLY smart. His ideas for how we could create jobs and get out of the recession made a lot of sense. Some of the other things he said were so far out of my league, I glazed over.
--he has long fingers
--people still love him. From the dude who yelled, "We love you, Bill!" in the crowd to a co-worker of mine who threatened to run off with him if the chance presented itself--he is still a favorite. I guess there's a statute of limitations on sleaze.
I don't think much about politics, and I especially don't think much about the recent political past. But I have always been fascinated by the presidency. Presidents can be such polarizing figures, but love them or hate them, their job is extremely hard. As I listened to Bill Clinton speaking, I was struck by how much he must love this country to sacrifice any sense of normalcy in exchange for being its Chief.
Listening to President Clinton speak was like a trip in a time machine back to the 90's. I remembered all the Lewinsky jokes (I even emailed a friend about wearing a Gap dress to the lecture). I remembered how much money I made at my first teaching job. I remembered a bizarre day in 1992 when my friend Nicole and I went door-to-door with Clinton/Gore campaign flyers--and were abandoned by the other campaign workers and had to take a bus back to the headquarters downtown.Now I will remember a rainy night in North Carolina when I was in the same room as a US President. It was a large room, but still...
No comments:
Post a Comment