I don’t know how I managed for so long to live in this age of movie sequels without attending a midnight showing. So tonight (this morning?), I crossed it off my bucket list by attending the 12:01 showing of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 with my good friend Laura.
The purpose of this post is not so much to discuss the movie, as it is to comment on the experience of joining so many devotees for the final chapter of this epic story. I will say that I loved the books. I devoured each one so quickly that I immediately forgot 90% of what happened. For this reason, the movies never disappoint me. If someone turned to me and said, “I can’t believe they left out the part where Wayne Gretzky rides through the Enchanted Forest on a Vespa”, I’d probably just nod politely.
Laura and I began our preparations a week ago, purchasing tickets online. Tonight, we helped our friend Hannah pack for her cross-county move and talked about how we could best keep ourselves energized for the night’s adventure. First, we stopped in a grocery store and stocked up on snacks. While there, we met a woman from church who had just dropped off her son at the theater two hours early.
Next it was on to Starbucks. It was here that we felt the first ripples of Potter-mania. High school and college students talking animatedly as they sipped their iced coffees. In walked a young lady wearing a necktie with a lightning bolt drawn on her head. One of her friends sported the symbol of the deathly hallows on her hand.
We arrived at the theater about 90 minutes early, only to find the house packed. It was here we had the best opportunity to observe those around us. Costumes were bountiful and there were some hits and misses. Luna Lovegood in the restroom—win. Girls in neckties—bleh. Kid in Quidditch gear sprinting through the lobby—well-played. Gryffindor lion girl—you looked more like a werewolf, maybe you could trot out that costume when Breaking Dawn opens? One poor soul, dressed as a Death Eater complete with mask, was asked by the security guard to remove his mask while in the building. Our favorite costume belonged to a college student dressed in white feathers. Hedwig, we salute you. There were many more, including some young ladies who made it difficult to tell if they were in costume or simply overdressed.
The previews were lackluster, but the movie was fun. The audience cheered at pivotal moments and when it all ended.
And so here I am, at 3:14 in the morning, wide awake from all the caffeine and sugar I’ve consumed. When I do drift off tonight, though, I will do so safe in the knowledge that good conquers evil.
awesome! i read them so fast too - can barely tell you the plot. i know harry wins. laughing hard at the ash wed. and the vespa!
ReplyDeleteWide awake at 3am? Welcome to my life!! ;-)
ReplyDelete