I was at the grocery store one day when I heard a man
saying, “Hey. Hey! Do I know you?” I turned and saw the father of a
student I had this year. I said, “Yes. You know me. I was ________’s teacher this year.” Small talk followed. During the year there had been meetings,
phone calls, notes, field trips and all manner of interactions, but within a
month of graduation, he had forgotten me.
He’s not the first parent to forget me. Another woman, who I emailed weekly,
called frequently, and to whose husband my class sent care packages while he
was stationed overseas, saw me in the gym and asked if she had met me at the
local newspaper’s job fair. I had to remind her that I had been her son's teacher.
I was at the used book store one afternoon and, as I was
walking to my car, a woman drove by and I thought, “That looks like _______’s
mom.” And it was. We held up traffic for a few minutes as
we swapped stories and I heard about all the wonderful things her boys are
doing. We talked about Ireland,
too. Her boys left my classroom
four and eight years ago, but she knew exactly who I was and that I have a
thing for Ireland.
It’s a funny thing.
Every year there are good relationships with students and parents. Every year there are bad relationships,
too. I always worry about seeing
the people who didn’t like me out in public, but more often than not, they don’t
remember me. I wish I could
forget them as easily as they forget me. I wish being thankful
for the good ones would come as easily to me as worrying over the rough ones.
Wow, this is so interesting to me, I find it amazing that people forget that easily, but at the same time I sort of hope that my kids will forget their teacher somedays ;)
ReplyDelete