Saturday, March 27, 2010

Sometimes It's Hard to Be a Woman


But is it so hard we need books like this?

I was standing in front of the women's interest section at the Family Christian store today and found that almost every book there was aimed at women who are unhappy, unfit, unsatisfied and un-relaxed. In contrast, the men's books were all about finding your secret inner-man, finding truth, and finding out about heroes of the faith.

Before I go bananas about Christian publishers taking advantage of women, I have to remember, publishers wouldn't print so many books for un-something women if women weren't buying them. But I wouldn't describe the women I know as an unhappy lot. I think we wrestle to find contentment, but overall, we understand that God's grace is sufficient in our weakness. We know that life is hard, but He is good. We know we don't need to have it all, or have it all together to be loved and accepted by the One who created us.

Perhaps I will write a book about it. And I guarantee you, the cover will not have any of the following on it: pink, a frazzled-looking woman, a mug or teacup, flowers, a shiny photo of yours truly.

My apologies to any of you who may have read and loved the strong life book. I promise not to judge.

2 comments:

  1. Amen sister. I thought you also might point out the fact that there is a smiling man on the cover of this book directed at women finding strong lives. Interesting marketing choice from the publishers as well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, I couldn't agree more. that is what struck me first! Joy, I'll buy your book!

    ReplyDelete